Until recently it was thought that the only function of vitamin D was to facilitate the absorption of calcium in the body, along with regulating its levels in the blood. But its potential is many others.

For athletes,  vitamin D  is one of the best allies to maintain and increase performance. It also promotes muscle recovery and prevents injuries.

80% of the daily amount of this vitamin required by the body is obtained naturally through moderate exposure to sunlight . The remaining 20% ​​is taken through the consumption of certain foods that should be part of our everyday diet.

Vitamin D and bones

One of the main tasks of the calcidiol in the body is to provide the right density to the bones of the skeletal system. Timely, it avoids the appearance of diseases such as rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults.

A lack of this vitamin drastically increases the risk of fractures and various damages. For this reason, competitive athletes always keep the levels of this substance under control. If this were not the case, it would be impossible to practice high-impact sports for bones and joints.

Muscles, strength, and testosterone

Not only do bones depend heavily on vitamin D for development and functioning, but muscles also benefit from this active ingredient.

Maintaining adequate levels has a positive effect on testosterone production. This hormone is directly linked to the strength and volume that can reach the body’s tissues.

In the event of a deficit, an uncontrolled increase in body fat occurs. This is why people who enroll in the gym to increase, define and tone their muscles will not go far without this essential element.

Various benefits

For athletes, vitamin D is an essential element against chronic fatigue and fatigue. Likewise, its presence in the blood facilitates regeneration and recovery of muscles after considerable physical effort.

Some studies still in progress to evaluate the positive action of this vitamin in reducing the risks of suffering from type 2 diabetes or overweight.

Moreover, researchers are analyzing the relationship between low levels of this vitamin with episodes of dementia, such as Alzheimer’s. On the other hand, the ability to prevent chronic diseases such as breast, ovarian and prostate cancer has been demonstrated.

Risks due to a vitamin D deficiency

The list of problems that a deficiency of this vitamin brings with it is very wide: reduction of cognitive functions, the appearance of heart diseases and problems with the immune system, osteoporosis, psoriasis, rheumatoid arthritis, and tuberculosis.

On the other hand, the lack of this vitamin is also associated with affective disorders and depression. It is believed that this nutrient can have the same effect on the brain as serotonin, the happiness hormone.

However, even excess can be equally dangerous. When vitamin D levels are too high, deposits are created in the tissues of the heart, tendons, and lungs.

Other risks of excess are the possibility of suffering from kidney stones and irreversible damage to the kidneys. Hypercalcemia (excess calcium in the blood) may occur, which in turn can lead to episodes of confusion, disorientation, and arthritis.

Vitamin D intoxication does not occur due to excessive exposure to sunlight. The only cause may be the abuse of vitamin supplements. The first symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and constipation. Subsequently, lack of appetite, tiredness, apathy and sudden weight loss can occur.

Where to find this vitamin so important?

There are not many foods rich in calcidiol. The list includes some types of fish such as salmon and tuna and foods such as beef liver, champignon mushrooms, and eggs. It is also common to find it in strengthened foods, such as breakfast cereals, dairy products, and soy drinks. Those who practice outdoor sports, under the sun, definitely take good doses of this vitamin. In any case, when exposing yourself to the action of UV rays you need to take the right precautions, such as using sunscreen and staying hydrated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enter Captcha Here : *

Reload Image