Poor blood circulation is a very common problem, especially in people over the age of 40. It happens when blood vessels lose their natural elasticity making blood flow more difficult. Besides many other advantages, did you know that practicing sport improves our circulation?
If blood does not circulate properly, serious health problems can occur. This is a cause of great concern for many people. Physical activity can be of great help to this problem and, in general, for maintaining good health.
Practicing sports regularly helps activate blood circulation. This happens because it improves venous return and blood flow to the extremities. Later we will analyze some aspects that will allow us to understand why playing sports improves our circulation.
The causes of poor circulation
The circulatory system is responsible for the flow of blood to the cells, which is why it is of fundamental importance for our body. Our health depends largely on its proper functioning.
Over time, due to a sedentary lifestyle, genetic and hormonal factors and bad habits such as smoking, it can stop working properly.
The most common symptoms of malfunction are swollen feet, pins and needles, cold extremities and varicose veins in the legs.
How does sport help improve circulation?
As mentioned before, physical exercise has a very positive effect on blood circulation. When doing physical activity regularly, pumping blood to the extremities improves significantly, especially towards the legs. The venous return is also improved.
Playing sports improves circulation and prevents the appearance of varicose veins. These veins are not only unsightly, but they can also have very annoying symptoms and cause serious complications.
What are the most suitable sports to improve circulation?
Sports improve blood circulation, but not all of them are suitable for this purpose. In reality, some physical activities, instead of helping, can be harmful.
The sports activities that help improve blood circulation are aerobic. This type of activity is characterized by a constant level of effort with medium and long duration exercises. Walking, swimming or cycling are perfect for reaching our goal.
Short efforts are not useful. For example, the type of physical activity performed by a sprinter or a basketball player is not advantageous to improve circulation. It is not even advisable to do hard and contact sports.
All activities that require a strong impact on the soil must also be avoided. Hitting the feet strongly on a surface hinders the venous return by keeping the blood in the legs and feet.
This type of activity will increase the feeling of heaviness and swelling. For these reasons, for example, we advise you to avoid running on asphalt or unsuitable shoes.
5 sports that are allies of the circulatory system
There are some sports that are particularly recommended for improving blood circulation. Below we list some of them:
- Cycling: pedaling at a steady pace without straining excessively and keeping the pace of pedaling unchanged, helps to improve the work of the circulatory system.
- Running: it is a good ally against bad circulation. The only things needed are a good pair of shoes to cushion the impacts with the ground and a lot of will. It is preferable to avoid running on the asphalt to avoid possible injuries to the knees and legs.
- Swimming: it is one of the most complete sports. It is perfect for improving circulation and has many benefits for the heart and lungs.
- Golf: Although it may seem strange to you, it is a sport that greatly helps the circulatory system. Long walks and going up and down the hill that this sport implies are a great way to reactivate venous return.
- Dance: it is a perfect exercise to improve circulation. Both classical and contemporary dance are our great allies for improving flexibility and circulation. It is also an activity that allows us to relax and have relationships.
To conclude, physical activity proves once again to be a perfect choice to prevent diseases. Playing sports improves circulation, strengthens the body and, as if that were not enough, allows you to relax and have a good time. Don’t you think it’s perfect?