Over 70% of our body is made up of water, it represents an essential component for human beings. Our vital activity consumes much of this reserve, which is why drinking water in the right amount is so important.
The amount of water to be taken varies mainly according to age and sex. For example, children between nine and thirteen should consume about 2.1 liters of water a day, while girls should drink at least 1.9 liters.
Also for adults, the amount varies according to sex. Women should consume about two liters of water a day, while men can get up to 2.5 liters.
A special situation is that of women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. In this case, they should consume 0.3 liters and 0.5 liters of water respectively compared to the normal condition.
How much water should you drink based on your weight
Few think that weight affects the amount of water to drink every day, but in reality, there is a close relationship. A thin person does not have the same need for water as a person with higher body weight.
Since each person has a different weight, it might seem difficult to calculate how much water you need to drink each day. In reality, there is a very simple formula: you have to multiply 30 ml of liquid for your weight.
For example, a person weighing 52 Kg should take 1.56 liters of water: 52 Kg x 30 ml = 1.560 ml, equal to 1.56 liters of water.
We repeat the formula so you can pin it down and not forget it: 30 ml x bodyweight = quantity in ml of water to be consumed every day.
- When practicing a sport consistently or you are doing a very intense workout, it is highly recommended to consume one liter of extra water for every hour of exercise done.
- As we all know, fruit and vegetables are foods with high water content. If you do not follow a diet rich in these foods, we recommend drinking at least two liters of water a day.
- In the case of illness or a period in which you have a weakened immune system, hydration is essential. We advise you to drink more water than usual in these cases.
How much water you should drink every day: recommendations
Many people forget to drink the recommended amount of water every day or find it difficult to do so. It is a fact that some people drink less liquid than others. In order to respect the daily dose, we list some suggestions that you can easily follow:
- A good idea is to consume a glass of water before each meal. It will be more difficult to forget this habit which, among other things, contributes to better metabolism of meals.
- Another suggestion is to drink a glass of water when you are on an empty stomach and another before going to sleep. This can help you reach the recommended amount of water, according to the previous formula.
- There are people who drink little water because it has no taste. A solution could be to flavor water by adding fruit, tea, herbs or spices. The important thing is that you don’t add sugar.
- If you do not remember how much water you drank during the day, we advise you to create a ” schedule ” in which you can indicate the hours and glasses of water you have to drink (or have drunk) every day.