Hair loss is an event that can cause concern in the lives of many people. During the course of life, this situation can occur for various reasons. In this article, we will see 8 causes for which hair loses strength and falls.
The reasons why hair loses strength
- Hormonal activity. It mainly concerns women, who are subject to strong hormonal changes. These hormonal changes occur mainly during puberty, with the use of oral contraceptives, with pregnancy and with menopause. The processes governed by hormones influence the quality and growth of hair and vary according to the characteristics of each individual.
- The genetic factor. Genetics can influence when the hair is thin and thin. If this is the responsible factor, there will be more propensity to have weak hair. The only remedy in these cases is to take the utmost care, avoid doing too many harmful treatments and pay attention to the damage caused by environmental factors.
- The lifestyle. It is now proven that there is a close relationship between lifestyle and general health. In particular, continuous stress leads to a weakening of the body, the scalp is no exception.
- Aggressive aesthetic treatments. They involve the use of chemicals, high temperatures, and strong hair handling. If they are performed poorly, these treatments deteriorate the scalp and make it fragile and weak.
- Diseases and drugs. Serious diseases alter numerous biological processes. Very strong drugs, such as those used for chemotherapy, poison hair follicles with consequent damage and hair loss.
- Diseases affecting the scalp. Disorders such as seborrhea, psoriasis, and dermatitis affect the quality and regeneration of hair.
- Nutritional deficiencies. The lack of certain nutrients needed in organic processes has a negative impact on the condition of the scalp. Among these, we remind you of some amino acids, minerals such as zinc and iron and the vitamins of group B.
- Old age. During aging, it is inevitable that the capillary structure, particularly the hair follicles, will suffer from deterioration or atrophy. In this case, it is necessary to seek an acceptable compromise and preserve the psychological well-being of the elderly person.
Consequences of hair loss
- The main consequence of this loss of strength is thinning hair. Hair that is usually thicker becomes thinner and begins to weaken.
- The most unpleasant consequence is that of hair loss. Furthermore, if the hair follicle is atrophied, the regeneration and growth of new hair are completely stopped.
- On a psychological level, the self-esteem of those who experience this deterioration decreases, causing serious discomfort and insecurities and altering their well-being.
How to detect deterioration of hair health
- At times, it is possible to notice at first sight that the hair has lost its strength. They are sparse, opaque, dry, brittle, thin and, among other anomalies, have split ends. Before becoming evident, it is likely that the problem has already begun without the person realizing it.
- The hair on the upper part of the head is thinner than on the sides. And this can also be felt by touch.
- It is possible to notice the loss of density: the scalp was hardly seen before, now it is visible to the naked eye.
- It is normal to lose between 40 and 50 hairs a day, but losing more than 100 is considered the beginning of the fall process. A clear sign is when we observe a large amount of hair on clothes, in the sink, in the shower, on sheets, on furniture, etc. on a daily basis.
What to do then?
The first thing to do when hair loses strength is to determine the cause that is affecting the health of the scalp. It is a health problem and not just an aesthetic one. We should, therefore, contact an experienced doctor.
Nothing can be done about hair that is already weakened. The use of specific treatments will concern those newly formed. There are oral or topical drugs that can remedy the problem of hair that loses strength but only on new hair. The hair industry moves large amounts of money, which is why there are many offers of miraculous products that act quickly. One must be very careful and be well informed. Consulting a professional is the best way to deal with the problem.